Friday, July 1, 2011

Food Friday

I used to think that I didn't like butter.  We always had the fake-est of fake spreads in my house growing up.  And they tasted okay.  And whenever I was exposed to real butter at restaurants, it was so hard to spread and, I thought, it didn't really taste that good anyway.

I was never a huge dieter, but there were always certain things that I didn't like and I would argue to people who would try to convince me to like them, that they just added extra calories I didn't need anyway.  The best example is my distaste for condiments (ketchup, mayo, mustard, salad dressing).  My mom would tell me to "learn salad dressing" and I would ask her why she was trying to get me to eat more calories, when in general she would try to get me to diet.

Though no one was ever trying to get me to like real butter, I think I probably told myself the same thing.  "The fake spread is good enough and it doesn't have all those calories!"  But as I started reading more Fat Acceptance literature, it became clear to me that I might just be a hypocrite for using Benecol.  So I decided to try spreadable butter with canola oil.

I can't believe I ever thought I Can't Believe It's Not Butter was good.  This butter is so creamy and salty and delicious, it's like I've never had a slice of buttered bread before.  I literally close my eyes when I eat some on a roll, it's so good.  I think I used the spreading issue as an excuse not to "waste anymore calories," and I always preferred real butter, I just told myself I didn't.  I told myself that it was good enough.

What about you guys?  What foods did you convince yourself you liked in the name of dieting?  What did you tell yourself, wasn't good, but good enough?  What foods have you discovered since?

1 comment:

  1. Hello just came across you blog today :) Its so funny you say this about butter because when I was young we always had the real thing then as those margarine type products came on the market claiming they were 'healthier' mum started buying those. So as an adult I did too because butter is 'bad' and 'fattening' and therefore evil. Other things I've convinced myself are bad - mayo, white bread, yoghurt that isn't 95% fat free... the list goes on!
    I've rediscovered butter, really good quality yoghurt which tastes like cream, cream! lashings of it.

    ReplyDelete