Tuesday, July 19, 2011

CAKE!

Since my birthday is tomorrow and I'm in a whimsical mood, let's talk about cake!  After all, fatties love cake!

Summer birthday's have their ups and downs.  They are great because you often have off from school or work for them.  They are not so great because (at least when I was a kid) lots of my friends were away with their families or at camp, or later, looking at colleges when I wanted to have a party.  But they are great because you can do fun water-themed parties or go to amusement parks.

The thing I really didn't like about having a summer birthday was ice cream cake.

I don't care for ice cream cake.  I especially didn't like it as a kid because that was back when all they had was the vanilla-crunchies-chocolate variety.  (Now they make all those cool mint ones and all sorts of stuff I might be able to get behind.)  But every year, guess what I got?  An ice cream cake.  How hard is it to buy some damn Duncan Hines people?  Or just get a sheet cake from the supermarket.  They're cheaper than ice cream cakes, too.

But I digress.  Really, ice cream cake is the worst thing you can have in mid-July.  It's better in May or even in September or October.  In July, you have about thirty seconds to eat the cake.  "Oh my God, what's that giant brown tidal wave sweeping away all the children?"  "It's the ice cream cake, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!"

My favorite kind of cake is yellow with chocolate frosting and nonpareils, though really good vanilla frosting can be even better sometimes.  Or Funfetti, which I never had until adulthood.  I also love all things lemon, though lemon cake with lemon frosting can be a bit much, as I've learned.  I don't really like chocolate cake, I find it too rich.

Lately, I've been getting this cake from Acme that has (no not exploding birdseed!) strawberry filling in it, whipped cream on top and real strawberries and blueberries as a garnish.  I guess it's like a strawberry shortcake cake, if that makes sense.

The point is, everyone has different tastes in cake as in all food, and just because someone happens to have a summer birthday doesn't mean they want a BBQ and an ice cream cake.  What kinds of cake do y'all like?  Any suggestions for tomorrow?  I'll leave you with a picture of one of my latest ventures in cake, rainbow cake for Mr. Sprat's (winter) birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment