Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Dear Max and Erma's

I will be heading to the NAAFA conference on Thursday so I only have time for a quick post, but expect a lot of updates next week about the conference!

I was in Pittsburgh this weekend and we went to a chain restaurant called Max and Erma's.  I've been there three times before and had the best chicken parm of my life so I wanted to go while we were still in the area.  Their menu had changed a lot in a year and one of the things I noticed was the burgers.  Under each one it said "Max size (x price) or Erma size (y price).  The Erma size was cheaper so I can only imagine it was smaller.

Way to be sexist and sizeist all in one!  Like it isn't hard enough for a woman to order a burger in a restaurant?  Now if she wants the big one she has to ask for the "man's serving"?  And men who don't want as much (or are on a budget) have to order the girl one? This is exactly the kind of thing that keeps women (and especially fat women) down.  If a woman wants to eat (let alone enjoy) the same amount of food as a man she becomes too much like a man and is considered a threat.

Some people, regardless of size or sex, eat more than other people.  And some people are hungrier at a given moment than others.  It is utterly humiliating to gender hamburgers in order to offer two sizes.  Shame on you Max and Erma's, I'll be getting my chicken parm elsewhere from now on!

1 comment:

  1. I was about to post the same thought and wanted to see if anyone else had had the same reaction. Yours was the only one I found. Thanks for noticing how offensive this is!

    ReplyDelete