Monday, March 21, 2011

Thank You

Yesterday, Mr. Sprat and I bought bicycles.  I haven't ridden a bike since high school, so that was about six years ago.  And that time it was only to move the bikes from one house to another, four blocks.  I barely made it.  My thighs ached and I could barely keep peddling by the time we got there.  Since then, my husband and I have talked about getting bikes and my response was always kind of ambivalent.  Maybe we could rent them, I would say.  I remembered how bad it felt to not be able to make it four blocks.  All I could think was how difficult it had been and how much I didn't want to own something that was "for exercising."

Then I saw this post while I was going back through Fat Heffalump's blog.  And I thought to myself, that is the cutest bike I've ever seen!  And then I thought, I want to ride again.  It got to the point where all I could think about was getting a bike.  So yesterday for the first day of spring we went and bought bikes.

We weren't originally planning on buying them just yet so when we got out to the car, we didn't really have a plan on how to get them home.  Of course, they wouldn't fit in the car, nothing fits in our trunk, seriously.  We don't live too far from the Kmart where we got them so Mr. Sprat suggested we ride them home.  I wasn't sure.  Honestly, I wasn't sure I'd even remember how to ride, let alone make it a couple of miles home.  But as he was trying fruitlessly to get them in the car, I pushed myself off.  After a little wobbling, I started doing circles around the parked cars.  I was flying.  My legs didn't hurt, I didn't fall off or break the bike, everything was smooth and perfect.  So we rode the bikes home.  And yeah, I had to stop a couple of times.  And yes, my butt is sore today, but I did it.  And now I have a bike again!

Today, it rained most of the day and I was crushed because I wanted to go ride again.  I felt like a kid, who wanted to go out and play, something I rarely even experienced as a child.  And so I just wanted to say thank you, to the entire Fat Acceptance community and to Fat Heffalump especially, for giving me the confidence to ride my bike again, for the pure fun of it.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Love,
Mrs. Sprat

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhh! You just made me all happy!

    An aside: my beautiful Iris is off the road at the moment, her chain fell off and she has a complicated guard that I need a buddy to help me remove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love riding bikes with you, wifey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PICTURES!!!! Please? Congrats! =0)

    ReplyDelete