Thursday, June 30, 2011

Commercial

Just a quick post today to say that I saw a commercial I never thought I would last night.  I  was half-asleep so I didn't catch all of it, but it was definitely a commercial for the HCG diet.  For those who don't know/don't remember the Fat-o-Sphere's uproar about it, that's the diet where you eat 500 calories a day (well below the World Health Organization's level of starvation) and you take in pregnant woman pee in order to get HCG which serves as an appetite suppressant.  The diet is extremely dangerous and causes you to lose weight rapidly, sometimes more than one pound a day.  The commercial also seemed pretty shady because it was describing some way to get around getting a prescription.  The cost?  Three payments of 300 bucks.

Like the $60 billion-dollar-a-year diet industry needed more help!   It makes me sick that these companies can take advantage of poor, desperate people who are willing to do anything to stop the hate.  Why can't those companies try to fix the hate in people, instead of the fat?

No comments:

Post a Comment