Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Quick Roundup

Hello all!  I am down to two papers and two finals and still plugging along.  But the good news is that I will most likely have all of May, June, July and August off from school so expect a TON of blogging then.  For now I'll will give you a short round-up.

FatHeffalump continues to inspire me with this post.  If you have come here accidentally or still feel unsure of what FA is all about please read!

Brian at RedNo.3 has started (or restarted) a hashtag on Twitter called #thingsfatpeoplearetold.  If you are a tweeter, go check it out.  If not, check out his blog.  It is both extremely sad (or anger-provoking) and beautiful at the same time.  It is amazing how many people have shared these experiences.  It's such a relief not to suffer in silence anymore.

Over the weekend I went to NYC  to see BroFats (my brother) perform in a Jazz Combos concert.  While I was there I had breakfast at Friendly's.  You who else was there?  The calories from every dish on the menu.  I hadn't seen any of those menus yet and I have to say that even though I was never a huge calorie counter, it was a little triggering for me.  I kept thinking, why should I waste this many calories on breakfast if I don't even like breakfast that much?  And then I reminded myself that calories are an invention and if I eat until I'm full and then stop, I'll be okay.  It was harder than I thought.

Finally, I am wondering how much the world would be benefited by schools teaching better communication in their classes.  For one of my many papers, I am dealing with teaching the different communication styles:  assertive, aggressive, passive and passive-agressive, and how to become more assertive.  One of the ways to be more assertive is to use "I" statements.  I think diet talk would be far more tolerable if people used "I" statements.  For example, when I was visiting my brother he mentioned that he doesn't eat much meat anymore.  "You'd be surprised at how much better you feel."  I responded by telling him I was uncomfortable talking about it (I am not "out" about FA to my family).  If he had said "I was surprised at how much better I felt" then I could have said "well I feel much better when I do eat meat."  And we might have been able to leave it at that.  Your experience is not everyone else's.  Likewise, I am sure that someone (the media, a friend, etc) told him that he would feel better, so he thinks he does because someone else said "you" instead of "I."  What other ways do you think "I" statements can be helpful in FA?

That's all for now!  Maybe on Friday some pics of the Grad Ball and my trip upstate!

Love,
Mrs. Sprat

3 comments:

  1. Also, on a sex-related note please check out Notblueatall's post
    http://www.notblueatall.com/archives/tmi-tuesday-extra-tmi-edition/
    about Orgasms! Yay orgasms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link-love. I do think communication should be taught in schools! Like, starting in kindergarten!!! And the calories on menus thing? I had a triggering moment with those, too. Though not in the way you described. I was completely incapable of making a decision on what to have for dinner one night. My husband finally rescued me by ordering one of my faves: A cobb salad. But seeing those numbers felt like a test or exam. Pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the link love!

    I'm with you on teaching communication to kids. As well as critical and ethical thinking. It would open so many young minds and generally make the world a far better place.

    ReplyDelete